Monday, June 13, 2011

Trading as a spiritual exercise?

When I first gained an interest in trading I approached a friend of mine who formerly traded commodities for a living. He is someone I greatly respect, quite a bit older and wiser than I. He told me that in his day he had made some decent money trading grains, beans, coffee and the like the old fashioned way; drawing his own charts from the daily quotes and having to pick up the phone and call in orders. It was fun to hear the stories.

We certainly have come a long way technologically, but for the most part, trading remains the same. He told me that trading has always been and will always be a battle against yourself. Technical and fundamental analysis can be learned by anyone, but very few master themselves. It takes great discipline to conquer fear and greed. As a committed Christ follower, he said that trading will actually be "one of the most spiritual exercises that you will ever do." I was perplexed. This man is a former seminary professor and is deeply knowledgeable about spiritual exercises. And yet he was telling me that trading will stretch me more spiritually than most other activities? Well, he was dead right!

Trading financial markets is like holding a mirror to your soul. It won't take long until you clearly see all the "uglyness" that's on the inside.The lusts and craving for material things, the anger that makes you want to take revenge on the market, the fear and indecision, the guilt that comes when you go against everything you know is right to do (i.e. money management) and from making so many foolish mistakes. This ugliness all comes out like a flood when learning to trade. This is where the gospel can come in and give us hope, yes, even in the trading realm. You see, I think the greatest thing about becoming a successful trader is not the financial rewards, but the personal growth that one experiences. No one has ever become a long-term success in the markets without becoming a much stronger person. For the Christian, this has to mean more trust in Christ and less confidence in the flesh. In trading, I clearly see my sin, which is a blessing because it leads me to seeing Christ and the cross even clearer. As Martin Luther advised, "For every one look you take of your sin, take ten looks at the cross!" And so my old friend was right. Trading for me has become a great spiritual exercise, valuable for mortifying the flesh by God's grace. Christian, I hope it becomes so for you as well.

5 comments:

  1. "What is Forex? is a question that many people ask a lot these days.
    There are people who have been making money through Forex from many years ago. Today with the internet Forex trading become much easier and more accessible to everyone.
    You can sit in your home and trade without having to make any phone call or referring to any bank."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is an awesome post! As a devoted Christian myself, I have been learning similar lessons from my ventures into forex trading. It is amazing how God is revealing weaknesses in me and at the same time building up strengths I never knew I had!

    Damn, it's a shame that you stopped posting. If you're still around, keep this going brother :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool insight. Would encourage you to keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, too bad this blog has ended.
    We could have more discussion and supply more for his kingdom. I don't have this blog but you can pm me at yes4x19@yahoo.com. Let us be salt and light at this end time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have stopped trading Forex altogether because I have developed serious ethical problems as a Christian with it.

    Most types of financial trading and day trading are a zero sum game, even a negative sum game. It produces NOTHING of value, no goods or services, and no wealth is created like in Stock Trading. The net change in total wealth among traders is zero at the end of the day (sometimes even less!) - the wealth is just SHIFTED from one trader to another! (Reallocation of wealth - júst like in gambling)

    It is far too close to gambling for me (some skill, a lot of chance), and you make gains ONLY at another's expense! Jesus said that we should love our neighbor as we love ourselves. How can you do that when you profit only at somebody else’s expense? It is a violation of Jesus’ most basic commandment for humanity. And to give to worthy causes from Forex earnings may be great, but the end never justifies the means! I personally consider Forex now essentially a form of legalized stealing and robbery. The experienced Forex trader is committed to “fleecing” those who are inexperienced!

    Don’t pray and ask God to help you with your financial trading - I don’t believe He will! Don’t be deceived. When I say God won't help you with your financial trading, I don't mean all trading. I mean trading that tends to be morally wrong. I tried it, while praying a lot about it, and in the end still lost most of my capital. I don't think God will get involved in practices that are very speculative and close to gambling. It is simply against His Word.

    Henry Ford said: " Wealth is never attained when sought after directly. It comes as a by-product of supplying a useful service."

    An agnostic has even said: “In Forex you’re not doing any useful work, and you’re hoping to make a lot of money from it, right? Isn’t this really like stealing from the public? You’re hoping to get a lot of money from moving currencies around, and you’re not giving the world anything in return - except moving some currencies around. I think that’s just like theft.”

    By the way, the odds ate totally stacked up against you in Forex. Up to 95% of small forex traders loose all their money in trading.

    Think carefully about what I have said. This is how I think and feel right now. I don't know if anybody can convince me otherwise/refute my arguments?

    (Additional Information:
    When I say God won't help you with your financial trading, I don't mean all trading. I mean trading that tends to be morally wrong. I tried it, while praying a lot about it, and in the end still lost most of my capital. I don't think God will get involved in practices that are very speculative and close to gambling. It is simply against His Word.)

    ReplyDelete